Philosophy and Background
Bentz Whaley Flessner advances our world through collaboration with great nonprofit organizations. We are a full‐service fundraising consulting firm offering assistance with capital campaign counsel, feasibility studies, development assessments, analytics and predictive modeling, prospect management, donor relations, professional development and training, advancement systems, campaign planning, annual giving, alumni relations, and social media.
Our commitment to transform philanthropy is grounded in employing the best tools and techniques. Our collaborative approach brings together insights from our experienced and diverse team to learn from each other, develop new ideas, and create customized, timely solutions.
The firm contends that the most important component in a successful development program is the message the institution gives to its constituencies. The public’s impression of the institution must be clearly defined, readily recognizable and accurately reflective of its character and mission. The ability of an institution to attract resources is dependent upon whether the perception of its mission, goals and objectives agrees with the reality of its situation. Therefore, Bentz Whaley Flessner examines the institution in terms of its leadership, planning, human resources, financial resources and organizational structure to determine whether, and to what extent, these elements support and enhance its declared mission.
Bentz Whaley Flessner defines itself as a consulting organization which looks at an institution in its totality—its mission, goals and objectives—and determines how the external affairs function fits within that context. The firm’s goal is to establish a “partnership” with its clients. In service, the firm is a working team of seasoned professionals with expertise in many different areas who apply their diverse talents to each consulting assignment.
The firm has identified multiple positions for talented individuals in the generalist area for work to be based out of the Minneapolis, MN, or Washington, D.C. offices.
The successful candidate will:
• Have earned a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
• Have extensive successful development experience, preferably five or more years in a development management position (Senior Director of Development, AVP, VP, or equivalent).
• Demonstrate excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
• Enjoy and be proficient at skill building and training techniques.
• Have experience leading development/advancement organizations, including strategy development and execution.
• Have exposure to fundraising in a higher education, healthcare, or other nonprofit setting.
• Be experienced in presenting at conferences, be an active leader in philanthropy, and have an interest in sharing knowledge and expertise with others.
• Client engagements. Define engagement scope of work and deliverables. Provide excellent delivery of consulting services, in partnership with clients. Engagements may include program reviews, fundraising strategy development and implementation, feasibility studies, campaign counsel, board engagement, or other services as needed.
• Marketing. Regularly write and speak to promote expertise in philanthropy through firm and industry publications, conferences, or events.
• Sales. Develop and maintain a robust network of potential clients, initiate conversations with potential clients, and actively respond to sales opportunities, including writing proposals and participating in sales presentations.
• Ongoing professional development. Participate in ongoing internal activities as a productive and active member of the firm. These may include orientation and ongoing trainings, firm-wide client review meetings, and other skill-building activities.
The successful Bentz Whaley Flessner consultant will:
• Be appropriately patient in ambiguous situations and creative and flexible in his/her willingness to customize and adapt.
• Possess a high energy level, a strong sense of urgency, and a strong sense of personal responsibility for results.
• Possess powerful analytical skills, both qualitative and quantitative, and a solid strategic thinking ability.
• Be able to motivate, praise and provide recognition to others.
• Possess solid time management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
• Create a strong, positive initial impression and maintain a solid professional credibility.
• Be a team player and, at the same time, have a strong drive for independent, entrepreneurial achievement.
• Support firm sales and marketing activities through the development of proposals, presentations and marketing materials.
Bentz Whaley Flessner offers individuals the opportunity to learn from and work with a committed team of professionals who contribute significantly to the long-term viability of the nation’s educational, arts, and health care communities.
Please respond with a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bentz Whaley Flessner is an Equal Opportunity Employer.