Philosophy and Background
Bentz Whaley Flessner advances our world through collaboration with great nonprofit organizations. We are a full‐service fundraising consulting firm offering assistance with capital campaign counsel, feasibility studies, development assessments, analytics and predictive modeling, prospect management, donor relations, professional development and training, advancement systems, campaign planning, annual giving, alumni relations, and social media.
Our commitment to transform philanthropy is grounded in employing the best tools and techniques. Our collaborative approach brings together insights from our experienced and diverse team to learn from each other, develop new ideas, and create customized, timely solutions.
The firm contends that the most important component in a successful development program is the message the institution gives to its constituencies. The public’s impression of the institution must be clearly defined, readily recognizable and accurately reflective of its character and mission. The ability of an institution to attract resources is dependent upon whether the perception of its mission, goals and objectives agrees with the reality of its situation. Therefore, Bentz Whaley Flessner examines the institution in terms of its leadership, planning, human resources, financial resources and organizational structure to determine whether, and to what extent, these elements support and enhance its declared mission.
Bentz Whaley Flessner defines itself as a consulting organization which looks at an institution in its totality—its mission, goals and objectives—and determines how the external affairs function fits within that context. The firm’s goal is to establish a “partnership” with its clients. In service, the firm is a working team of seasoned professionals with expertise in many different areas who apply their diverse talents to each consulting assignment.
The firm has identified multiple positions for talented individuals in the generalist and specialty services area for work to be based out of the Minneapolis, MN, or Washington, DC offices, or remote offices.
The successful candidate will:
- BS/BA degree or equivalent of 4 years’ experience required.
- Minimum of two years of related experience, preferably in fundraising/ development programs.
- Strong analytical skills and effective time management.
- Strong computer skills; advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products and at least one advanced CRM tool; advanced Excel highly desired.
- Familiarity with Internet search strategies and experience using electronic databases and online search tools such as LexisNexis for Development Professionals, WealthEngine, GuideStar, ResearchPoint, DonorSearch, iWave, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to retrieve, manipulate, analyze, and synthesize information gathered from a variety of sources (electronic, print, and personal accounts).
- Involved in research professional community and knowledge of skill requirements for research positions within the industry.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships, including the ability to communicate effectively. Strong commitment to customer service required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- High attention to detail and follow-up, and excellent organizational skills required, including the ability to prioritize and multi-task several projects simultaneously.
- An aptitude for critical thinking and problem solving.
- Ability to manage confidential information with discretion and tact.
- Understanding of philanthropy (mission, practice, trends) and fundraising practices (the development cycle, general prospect management policies and practices).
- A strong work ethic.
- Flexible and adaptable to new programs in an emerging and changing environment.
- Commitment to the culture, mission, and values of Bentz Whaley Flessner.
- Client engagements. Provide BWF standard services in prospect research.
Specific deliverables include:
- Prospect Verification
- Prospect Identification
- Prospect Profiles
- Communication. Team member will actively communicate project status and deadlines for each engagement.
- Ongoing professional development. These may include orientation and ongoing trainings, research team meetings, and other skill-building activities.
BWF Team Member Profile
The successful Bentz Whaley Flessner researcher services associate will:
- Be appropriately patient in ambiguous situations and creative and flexible in his/her willingness to customize and adapt.
- Possess a high energy level, a strong sense of urgency, and a strong sense of personal responsibility for results.
- Possess powerful analytical skills, both qualitative and quantitative, and a solid strategic thinking ability.
- Be able to motivate, praise and provide recognition to others.
- Possess solid time management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Create a strong, positive initial impression and maintain a solid professional credibility.
- Be a team player yet have a strong drive for independent, entrepreneurial achievement.
BWF Insight Team
BWF Insight represents the 21st century vision of Bentz Whaley Flessner and offers the most comprehensive custom analytics service for fundraising. Our service areas include program and feasibility analysis, data mining and predictive modeling, forecasting and gap analysis, custom research, digital services, and training and program development.
BWF Insight team members will be good citizens in offering guidance and services to the other business functions of BWF. BWF Insight expects the character of its team, innovation flowing from a trusting environment, the commitment to our clients’ missions, and mindfulness of the great value our clients offer to the world we live in to be the core of all of our pursuits.
Bentz Whaley Flessner is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Send cover letter, resume, and writing samples submitted to email@example.com.